Vista Wins Big at DCSD’s 4th Annual Film Festival

At DCSD’s 4th Annual Film Festival, many high school, middle school and elementary students competed in different categories of film such as, best animation and best documentary. Vista had winners as well as runner-up awards in multiple categories. A group of individuals swept the three spots in the Live Broadcast category.

Students who submitted their entry were able to watch their production at the AMC 12 Theater in Castle Rock on April 25. They not only competed for the best in their category, but as well as awards for, Best in Show and Fan Favorite Vote. The winners of each won GoPro cameras.

Congratulations to the following from Mountain Vista:

Best Commercial – Maura McGettigan

Best Live Broadcast – Ryan Tubbs, Jack Schauer, Blaise Schauer, Thomas Hall, Brandon Walters, Jacob Riffel

Best News Feature – Lauren Irwin

Live Broadcast – 2nd Place: Hunter Worley, Ryan Tubbs, Conner Volrath, Brian Shockley

Live Broadcast – 3rd Place: Davis Helmerich, Ben Bowen, Brie Stewart, Carter Field

Drama – 2nd Place: “Speechless,” Kyle Pavelis, Will Richter, Arteen Dargahi

Documentary – 2nd Place: Ryan Tubbs, Thomas Hall,  Jack Schauer

“I think it’s really fun to go out and call games,” senior Ryan Tubbs said. Tubbs won multiple awards at the film fest. Tubbs took the top two spots for Live broadcast and won second place in the Documentary category. Tubbs won Best Live Broadcast for Vista’s Wish Week game against ThunderRidge.

“A couple of my friends and I made a short film called, ‘Speechless,’ about a high school student dealing with a stutter trying to overcome his stutter and talking to the girl he likes,” sophomore Kyle Pavelis said. “I think the biggest payoff for me was the fact that it was shown in a theater with more than 100 people.” Pavelis and his classmates won second places in the Drama category. This was Vista’s most successful year at the film festival due to the fact this is the most awards they have won.

Featured image credits to DCSD.