What's The Scoop
  • Just a reminder that you cannot get a parking permit with any outstanding fees. Please check your emails to check to see if you have received an invoice.
  • First Day of School is August 7, 2024
  • Upcoming Events will scroll here (website being rebuilt currently)

The Super Blue Blood Moon

The Super Blue Blood moon is coming early tomorrow, January 31. This is the first time this phenomenon has been able to be viewed in the United States since 1866.

A supermoon is when a full moon is at its closest to the Earth’s surface. Since this is the second full moon in the month of January, the moon is considered a Blue Moon.

The optimal viewing time in the Front Range is from 5:52-7:08 a.m.

At the same time all of this is happening, a total lunar eclipse will be occurring, casting the Earth’s shadow upon the moon, causing the moon to look red. This color is where the term “blood moon” comes from.

“The reason the moon will be orange is the same reason the sky is blue. When a little bit of light from the sun hits the edge of the Earth, the blue light scatters but the red and the orange continue and goes around (the Earth) and hits the moon and makes it look orange,” Douglas Duncan, University of Colorado-Boulder professor told The Denver Post.

According to NASA, people living in western North America, Alaska, and Hawaii will get the best view of the eclipse.

The next time an event like this will happen is on Jan 21, 2019, but this event will not be a blue moon.