An Open Letter To Donald Trump

Dear Mr. Trump,

Although I am not of age to vote, and disappointed to be so, I still have very strong feelings towards you and your idea of a presidential “campaign.”

I am a 16-year-old high school student journalist, and even I know better than to make fun of someone on social media. I am so sorry that your best defense mechanism for yourself is attacking other people, usually self-control is a lesson learned in elementary school.

Countless times you have verbally attacked reporters, including in campaign speeches, saying that you would “stop false media,” as in stop people from talking about your controversial comments, if you were to become president. Was it false media, or just inevitable gossip?

I don’t know about the rest of the world but I learned how to ignore gossip in high school. Again, yet another life lesson you seem to have missed out on.

For instance, you went after Megyn Kelly, a reporter for Fox news, calling her a Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 8.57.12 AM“lightweight” because she asked you questions in a debate that you just couldn’t quite answer. Let’s not forget that Fox News is strongly Republican, which is the party you are running for. You also said that there was “blood coming out of her eyes” and she “came out with some ridiculous questions.”

Those ridiculous questions included “You’ve called women you don’t like fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals. You once told a contestant on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as President?”

I don’t think that it’s a ridiculous question to ask you for your reasoning behind your bashing of women. Or is it just too hard to admit to the truth?

“I don’t have time for total political correctness,” you said back to Kelly. “And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time for it either. This country is in big trouble, we don’t win anymore.”

Way to walk your way around the question. It wasn’t so much of a hard question as it was just too hard for you to answer with honesty. You’re truly the king of beating around the bush when you’re trying not to lie on national television.

Now I know that people are claiming that you’re saying all the right things in your speeches, but are we really so narrow-minded as to only see you for what you say during your debates?

I think that the trashing of countless people on social media and live television shows your character pretty clearly. But even in your debates you’ve thrown off the gloves and gotten dirty with other candidates in your party for what reason? Maybe the other life lesson you didn’t learn, respect.

assOn the subject of fighting on social media on March 18 you tweeted about past Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney saying he “choked and let us all down.” You proceeded to add that he’s endorsing “Lyin’ Ted Cruz.” When will the child’s play end Mr. Trump?

Apparently it’s not ending soon. On March 24 you tweeted about the show “The View,” an American Broadcasting Company (ABC) talk show hosted by women, saying it was a “total disaster since the great Barbara Walters left.”

Is campaigning to be President of the Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 8.43.56 AMUnited States of America just so boring that you feel the need to go after a talk show? If I were you I would stay out of other people’s business Mr. Trump. I don’t think “The View” is a pressing issue for this country.

Yet ANOTHER thing that you seem to be known for is your ratings. You called yourself in an interview with CNN a “ratings machine.” Is that all your after? More ratings, more views, more attention?

Mr. Trump if this were a job interview I would have to say, you’re just not fit for this position. Please do this country a favor and drop out of the race.

Sincerely,

Savanah Howard