6 Things Fans Hope to See in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

DISCLAIMER: The following article may contain spoilers for the upcoming film, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and contains spoilers for the “Star Wars” movies “Episode III Revenge of the Sith” and “Episode IV A New Hope.”  If you don’t want the movies spoiled for you, I advise you to not continue reading.

Opening this Friday, Dec. 16, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is one of the most anticipated films of the year; and as the release date nears, the excitement between the fans continues to grow. Unlike the other “Star Wars” movies, “Rogue One” is a Star Wars  spin-off of the original films. It also occurs during “Episode III Revenge of the Sith”, and “Episode IV A New Hope.”

Here are six things that “Star Wars” fans hope to see in “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”

1. Character development of the early Darth Vader.

As any “Star Wars” fan knows, at the end of Episode III, Anakin completes his transition to the dark side and is transformed  into the infamous Darth Vader and that’s the last we see of him; until he is questioning Leia in Episode VI. Fans hope that the movie will reveal and answer some of the long lasting questions about Anakin’s transition from a Whiny Jedi to the fearless Darth Vader.

1. Clarification of the events that happened between Episode III and Episode IV.

When watching Episode III and Episode IV, the viewer can notice that there’s a decent time gap between the movies. But, since Rogue One occurs between the movies, fans hope for some explanation as to what happened when Darth Vader rose to power and the Jedi went into hiding. Will we see Obi-Wan and Yoda flee into their hiding positions?

1. The Childhood of Luke and Leia.

Since Rogue One is a spin-off film, it’s highly unlikely we’ll see any of the iconic, original trilogy characters (with the exception of Darth Vader). Fans however are anxious to see if director, Gareth Edwards drops hints about the young Skywalker twin’s childhoods along the way. It would only make sense if we saw a little bit of Princess Leia because her adoptive father, Bail Organa (As seen in the end of Episode III) is part of the early rebel alliance and helps with the stealing of the Death Star plans while protecting his daughter.

1. What the rebellion looked like before the Death Star plans were acquired.

When we first see the rebellion in Episode IV, the rebels have already acquired the plans for the Imperial Death Star and have strong leaders in place to help them lead their cause. However, what happened before they obtained the plans for the Death Star? How did they find the people they needed for the leadership positions of their cause?

1. Could the Death Star’s weakness be intentional?

One of the questions that Star Wars fans want answered the most is on the topic of the Death Star. When the rebels destroy the Death Star in the end of Episode IV, it seems just a little too easy. If the weapon was designed to be powerful, then why could it be destroyed with a simple shot? Fans hope to see if the destruction of the Death Star was intentional, and was made to be destroyed so easily.

1. Will the ending scenes of Rogue One be the opening scenes of A New Hope?

Because Rogue One occurs between the end of Episode III and the beginning of Episode VI, fans hope to see the movie conclude with the opening scene of a “New Hope.” It would be the most logical way to end the story dude to it leads in Episode VI, and the story picks up following the release of the new movie, connecting the prequels and the original trilogy once and for all.

The final question remains: will Rogue One tie together the original trilogy and the prequels once and for all?