Best of Homecoming Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Best of Homecoming Week

KIT MILLER

Monday, Sept. 21 – Mountain Vista kicked off homecoming week this year with a pep assembly, where the nominees for homecoming royalty were announced. Each class was then given the opportunity to vote for the nominee they wanted. Click here to see our coverage of the pep assembly.

Tuesday, Sept. 22 – After school, Vista held its first Color Run (hosted by the Cross Country team) where students ran a 0.9 mile loop around the football field and were hit by packets of dry paint. After the run, the participants gathered together for a group picture and one last paint-throw.

Wednesday, Sept. 23 – A large crowd gathered at Shea Stadium to watch Vista’s Unified Soccer team play against ThunderRidge and then the annual Powder Puff game. The girls of the class of 2017 squared off against the defending champions of the class of 2016. Wide receiver Cydney Billups, daughter of the retired basketball player Chauncey Billups, helped lead the seniors to victory against the juniors. The final score was 12-6. The Mens Poms teams also made their annual appearance at half time.

Thursday, Sept. 24 – In the morning, Vista recognized its fall sports teams at its Fall Sports assembly. The homecoming royalty winners were then announced and the Mens Poms teams performed again. During lunch, Vista students enjoyed food from outside vendors during Taste of Vista. After school the varsity Volleyball team played against Ponderosa.

Friday, Sept. 25 – The football team dominated the game against Douglas County, winning 48-14. Mountain Vista Media held its annual Maestro Project by covering the game with livestream, live blogging and social media.

Saturday, Sept. 26 – For the first time ever, Vista held its homecoming dance off-site. The dance was held at Sports Authority Stadium in Denver. Students had access to the field and danced in the tunnels where the professional football players run out of.