“The Avengers: Age of Ultron” Review

10869325_591589580977275_2778898650041679518_oWith the release of “The Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the 2015 summer movie season has begun with a bang. The sequel to the highest grossing film of 2012 has been highly anticipated by fans and it does not disappoint, giving fans everything that made the first movie great and more.

The story revolves around an artificial intelligence created by Tony Stark, played by Robert Downey Jr., called Ultron, played by James Spader. Ultron was created with the intent of protecting the world from extra-terrestrial threats but develops a god complex and concludes that the only path to peace is the genocide of humanity. From that point on, The Avengers set out to stop Ultron before he can complete his master plan.

The story, like it’s predecessor, feels ripped out of a comic book. The plot progression, dialogue and pacing immerses the audience into the Marvel Cinematic Universe beautifully, creating a fun experience throughout. The beginning may feel a bit rushed, but it is only a minor flaw that can be ignored because of the wonderful cast.

Chemistry is the key component to the “Age of Ultron” cast. Chris Evans, who plays Captain America, Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth, who plays Thor, make up most of the movie and play off each other very well. By playing up the contrasts of their characters and finding the humor in the plot, the three act as a driving force for the movie and suck the audience in. Mark Ruffalo, who plays Bruce Banner/Hulk, and Scarlett Johansson, who plays Black Widow, have a much more emotional form of chemistry, acting as the heart of the movie. However, James Spader is the show stealer. His voice is captivating and every time he speaks, the audience wants to hear more and more. It is a very intriguing performance.

In addition to the great performances, the humor is as strong as ever. Films from Marvel Studios tend to have a witty and tongue-in-cheek sense of humor, and “Age of Ultron” is no different. Very few jokes miss the mark and there were many moments where the audience gave the film a round of applause after a well written gag. While it has mainly been marketed as an action movie, and the action is entertaining, the humor is one of the film’s more memorable aspects.

“The Avengers: Age of Ultron” may not revolutionize the film industry like it’s predecessor, but it’s quality is undeniable. The film has something that can appeal to everyone and will likely be the best movie of the summer. “Age of Ultron” earns a nine out of ten.