How to Prepare For The Solar Eclipse

In three days, a solar eclipse will cover 92% of the Denver Metro Area. Scientists call it a once in a lifetime event and many Americans want to see the action. There are some safety precautions that people will need to take in order to view and photograph the two minute phenomenon.

If you are wanting to view the eclipse, you will need a pair of solar eclipse glasses. Looking at the sun during the eclipse will cause damage to the retina in your eye which could lead to blindness. Using solar eclipse glasses will protect eyes and will help you experience the event easier. The only safe time to view the eclipse without glasses is when the moon has fully covered the sun in the totality phase of the eclipse. Unfortunately, Denver will not experience this phase and you will need to travel farther north to Wyoming to experience this part of the eclipse.

If you plan to photograph this eclipse, make sure that you have a polarized lens filter for your camera. Make sure your lens is CE and ISO certified. If this type of lens is not used, the sun’s brightness will damage the sensors in your camera. If you are thinking about using your phone to capture the eclipse, experts say that cell phone camera lenses are too small to capture the detail.

Keep these safety tips in mind when observing the eclipse. However you choose to experience this event, make sure to enjoy it while it lasts.

Sources:

How to photograph the solar eclipse: The only guide you need

http://ktla.com/2017/08/18/how-to-safely-take-pictures-of-the-solar-eclipse/

Here’s what happens to your retina if you view an eclipse without protection