Wish Week Day 1: Monday

• Photo by: Sydney Jenkins

• Photo by: Sydney Jenkins

• Photo by: Sydney Jenkins

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Matt Bernstein

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

• Photo by: Emma Woody

It is the highly anticipated week Mountain Vista students and staff have all been waiting for; it’s the biggest week of the year: Happy Wish Week! Although this week and the included events are arriving months late, it took no time at all for students to fully immerse themselves in all things Wish Week. More importantly, all things Rynn. Monday, May 3 was filled with love, laughter, excitement and readiness for the rest of the week.

Monday began with members of Student Leadership welcoming Vista students at the doors with red ribbons to represent Rynn’s heart disease. 

Due to Covid-19 circumstances, there was no in-person opening assembly. However, students and faculty were able to tune in to VistaNow and watch an opening Youtube video during third period. The video introduced Rynn and her family, included a choir and poms performance and encapsulated the true essence of Wish Week. 

Kicking off a busy week can be tiring and may require a food break. Throughout the day, fundraisers were held at Raising Cane’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Gelato and Co and Dairy Queen. Proceeds from these fundraisers will go towards granting Rynn’s wish. 

To end the night, one of Vista’s most popular events took place: Vista Idol. A group of talented students get together for one night of music. Vista Idol is much anticipated by the performers: Linda Torres, Olivia Burch, Leah Storey, Ellena and Emma Harper, Jenna North, Noelle Martin, Mina Smith, Jesse Wong, Sarah Grimm, Ava Staver, Owen Pontius and Avery Burch, who signed up for auditions in March. Although they intended to audition in person on April 8, a bout of remote learning occurred which meant they had to send in a video audition, all leading up to the big night. This different audition process changed people’s mindset towards their own vocal performance. 

“Because it was online I actually got the chance to take the video over and over and over again, like finding every little mistake that I made, and I definitely was hard on myself with how it went because I know if it was in-person auditions, I would have just been like alright that’s, that’s that and that’s how it has to be. I can’t change it,” Avery Burch said. “But sending a video [I was] definitely harder on myself.” 

This week has just begun and the magic of Wish Week is already flooding the Vista halls. If Monday is any indication of what the rest of Wish Week will look like this year, expectations are set high.