Mountain Vista JV Poms at State

On Saturday Dec. 1, 2018, the Vista junior varsity poms team competed against other Colorado schools at the Denver Coliseum for the title of state champions. JV completed their season undefeated, winning first place at every competition, including state. “This is my second year on Vista’s poms team and [it is] the first year we’ve gone undefeated,” sophomore Maya Wilkinson said.

Besides performing at the statewide dance competitions, poms also dances at school events such as basketball games, football games, and assemblies. “Those dances are the first things we learned way back in June,” freshman Mira Patel said. Not only do the poms start learning their game day dances in early Summer, but also their dance for the state competition.  

Though dancing is a serious sport that requires years of experience, the girls still know how to have a little fun together. “I’ve been dancing as long as I’ve been walking,” Wilkinson said. “I feel as if I could dance for the rest of my life. That’s what keeps me motivated to dance.”  Not only does the team hold camps to help start youth dancers on their journey, but also has group bonding events for the team. Freshman Karlie Windle thinks her favorite bonding activity is the team trip to Breckenridge. “Everyone in the program goes and lives in this huge house together which really brings everybody close.”

Even though the competition season has come to a close for the junior varsity dancers, their dance career is nowhere near over.