2017 All State Track and Field

STORY BY LAUREN LIPPERT & GABE BARNARD

PHOTO BY SYDNEY TRICHLER

On Sat., May. 20 and 21, track and field achieved a great victory. In the course of various events such as 3200m, hurdles, high jump, 4x400m relay race and more, 26 athletes earned All-State honors by landing on the state podium, placing in the top nine of each event.

Among one of the many All-State athletes, junior, David Cozad described his race (4×400) to be a difficult yet exciting experience.

“I felt that my race went well but it was difficult due to the strong headwind,” Cozad said. “I was a little nervous at first when I realized the level of competition that I was going to be running against, but as it came time to race, my nerves turned mostly to excitement.”

Cozad’s teammate, junior Caden Foster, also found the race to be thrilling yet difficult because he was able to beat high intensity competitors, the strongest students from across the state.

“For the 800m open I got third, and was seeded 11th [at state]. I was super excited that I was able to race super well at state and beat some super talented competitors for the top three finish,” Foster said.

Each athlete that reached the podium, will have their picture hung on the walls of the athletic hallway along with other student athletes who have received the same honor. For many of the competitors, the atmosphere surrounding the team event will be the most memorable for years to come.

“It is super cool when everyone is cheering you on,” junior, Sydney Trichler said. “This is the first year that I am All-State and it will be very cool having my picture on the wall.”

Strong leadership is essential to the success of a team, and the advice and support of coaches helps students to achieve their goals in their sports. Coach, Kelli Kunz won 2017 Continental League track and field coach of the year for her influence on the track and field team.

Below is a list of All-State athletes:

Girls 3200

Jenna Fitzsimmons (3rd)

Caroline Eck (5th)

Sarah O’Sullivan (9th)

Boys 3200

Carter Dillon (8th)

Boys 800

Caden Foster (3rd)

Boys 1600

Carter Dillon (4th)

Josh Romine (9th)

Girls 300 Hurdles

Kara Lucyk (3rd)

Girls Triple Jump

Sydney Trichler (8th)

Girls High Jump

Emma Smith (8th)

4×800 Girls (3rd)

Mauren Fitzsimmons

Jenna Fitzsimmons

Caroline Eck

Sarah O’Sullivan

4×800 Boys (3rd)

Josh Romine

Carter Dillon

Caden Foster

Ethan Rouse

Girls 4×400 (6th)

Kara Lucyk

Madison Easton

Abby Walz

Sydney Trichler

Boys 4x400m relay (8th)

Tristan Smith

David Cozad

Caden Foster

Sheldon Hafner