PREVIEW: Shawn Mendes Concert

In 2016, Shawn Mendes released his second and most recent album, Illuminate, that will be the center of his upcoming world tour this summer. Mendes will be coming to the Pepsi Center in Denver on July 17, 2017. Joining Mendes on his world tour will be Charlie Puth, one of the singer-songwriters behind the hit song “See You Again” from the action movie Furious 7.

“When you go on tour you get so pumped up to make more music, learn more about yourself and grow more musically,” Mendes said to Rolling Stones. “It always happens.”
Mendes has said artists John Mayer and Ed Sheeran were inspirations for his newest album. He is known for his two hit singles, “Stitches” and “Treat you Better,” which have both been featured on the Billboard Hot 100. Mendes’ favorite song on Illuminate, “Ruins,” has the vibes of a Mayer song, which was his goal for the album, and now the tour. He said that this album has made him much more confident and passionate about the music he has created.

“Writing the songs that are about life and the things that actually happen to you is the hard part,” Mendes said in an interview with Fader. “It’s hard to dig into that part of your brain.”

He said his new album is more edgy and that “people are not going to be ready for some of the songs.” Mendes pulled from his personal experiences for the upcoming tour based off his newest album and hopes to grow as a musician

“That’s the crazy nature of being someone who creates music, and I think that song [Mercy] kind of expresses all that emotion and anger behind loving something so much,” Mendes said to People.

In his upcoming tour, Mendes hopes to capture the emotion of his Illuminate album and his passion for music.

“It’s more about getting deeper, getting into actual real life and what happened to me,” Mendes said to Entertainment. “I’m kind of still learning my voice and learning my style.”