Ben Affleck to Leave Batman?

Ben Affleck’s recent film “Live By Night” (2016) bombed at the box office, which caused a $75 million loss for Warner Brothers (WB). Affleck reportedly experienced a “crisis of confidence” after “Live By Night””s failure and doubted whether or not he could direct and star in a big-budget superhero movie. In the end, he chose to step down as director of “The Batman”, citing his desire to focus on the acting side of the role. “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” (2014) and “Cloverfield” (2008) director Matt Reeves has replaced Affleck as the film’s director, but John Campea is now claiming that three separate sources have told him over the past four days that Affleck no longer wants to play Batman/Bruce Wayne in the DCEU (DC Extended Universe).

“Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he does want out,” Campea said on yesterday’s episode of Collider Movie Talk. “He doesn’t want to be Batman anymore. I’ve been told, Ben Affleck is talking with Warner Bros. in an attempt to get out of being Batman. And if they do not let him out of being Batman, the standalone Batman film, that ultimately happens, may be the last time we see Ben Affleck as Batman.”

This is not the first time that Affleck has been reported to leave the role. There has been reported talk between WB and Affleck about leaving the role since he stepped down as the director of “The Batman”.

Affleck’s skepticism about the role is anything but good news for the DCEU. If Affleck can not find a way out of the role, he will most likely put less care and effort into the role, therefore causing Batman’s role in the DCEU to became less enjoyable.

“The Batman” does not have an official release date, but Affleck will appear as Batman/Bruce Wayne in “Justice League” (2017) regardless of any rumors.