OPINION: The Next Wolverine

20th Century Fox’s and Marvel Entertainment’s “Logan” (2017) will be released on March 3, 2017. The film will reprise Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Patrick Stewart as

Charles Xavier. In this story, Wolverine and Xavier must relapse from their quiet and secluded life along the Mexican border to protect and aid a girl named Laura who has abilities similar to Wolverine’s and is being pursued by a sinister organization. The marketing and vibe around “Logan” has suggested that this will be Jackman’s final time portraying Wolverine, but it is not certain whether he is done with the character or not. Fox co-star Ryan Reynolds, who has received major hype and success for his performance as Wade Wilson/Deadpool, stated that he would like to see Jackman sign on to do a “Deadpool/Wolverine” crossover film before he retires. “Hugh Jackman is one of the best human beings,” Reynolds said to Entertainment Weekly in Dec. 2016. “Part of the reason I want to do a ‘Deadpool/Wolverine’ movie is not just because I think the two would light the screen on fire, but I genuinely love the guy.”

Whether Jackman decides to join Reynolds for a “Deadpool/Wolverine” crossover or not, there is a bittersweet fact that need to realized; Jackman will, eventually, have to step down as Wolverine. This is such an unbelievable thought because Jackman has been playing the character for 17 years and the idea of another actor playing the role seems almost sinful. As crazy as it may seem, fans and Fox need to start thinking about actors who could potentially sheath Adamantium claws as everyone’s favorite mutant superhero. Here are my personal picks of who I would like to see play Wolverine after Jackman retires:

Tom Hardy

We will start with the obvious and most popular choice. Hardy is an incredibly talented actor who can lose himself in his roles, dawn a dark persona, infuse emotion into his characters and has experience playing comic book characters. Fans have been begging Fox to consider Hardy for the role non-stop and have even drawn up sketches of Hardy as the character to prove his capability.

Luke Evans

Luke Evans is an actor who triumphs in dark and somber roles. His previous performances from films like “Dracula: Untold” (2014), “The Hobbit” Trilogy (2012-2014), “The Raven” (2012) and “Fast & Furious 6” have been generally well-received, so it is more than reasonable to assume that Evans would play a great Wolverine. Evans also possesses the perfect appearance and attitude for the role.

Karl Urban

Urban would be perfect for the role of Logan for one simple reason (this is going to sound really weird, but bear me with me); his eyes. Look really close at this man’s eyes and tell me that he would not make an intimidating and amazing Wolverine. Urban’s fantastic performance as Dredd in “Dredd” (2012) made him a candidate for the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in “Batman Versus Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016), but his stern and serious acting style would be perfect for the role of Wolverine too.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

SONY DSC

Yes. I am fully aware that Wolverine is supposed to have black hair and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has blonde hair. However, his hair color does not worry me because Coster-Waldau is an actor that could unleash total fury and rage into Wolverine’s character. Anyone who has seen his performance as Jaime Lannister in HBO’s “Game of Thrones” (2011-present) is also aware that he has the wit and sarcasm necessary for the character. Coster-Waldau is an actor that excels at emotional turmoil and would be perfect for Logan/Wolverine.
Be sure to like and share this story and let VistaNow know who you would like to see play Wolverine/Logan after Jackman.

View Comments (1)