J.K. Rowling Shuts Down “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” Movie Trilogy Rumors

For most “Harry Potter” fans, the past year has been pretty good in terms of content. In 2016, fans received a “Harry Potter” prequel film (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”), a new book based on a play (“Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”) and updates to the Pottermore site. According to author J.K. Rowling, a “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” movie will not be added to this list.

Rowling was quick to shut down rumors that were being speculated by Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson on Friday Jan. 20 via Twitter. The tweets stated that the actors were currently negotiating deals to reprise their iconic roles in the speculated movie, which would be based on Rowling’s hit screenplay. According to the actors, the movie would be released around 2026 when they were the same age as the characters they were portraying. After reading the tweets, Rowling was quick to take to Twitter and release the following statement. “I know a lot of people are looking for reasons to be cheerful today,” Rowling tweeted. “But there is NO TRUTH to the rumor about a #CursedChild movie trilogy!”

Last year, another rumor surfaced when the new book was released. This rumor was considered more credible since it came from a journalist who has connection with Warner Brothers, Universal and Disney named Jim Hill.

“I have heard that Warner Bros. has actually had conversations with Emma Watson, with Rupert Grint, and, of course, Daniel Radcliffe about ‘Cursed Child’, because they want this to be, for lack of a better term, ‘Harry Potter: The Force Awakens’,” Hill said on the Unofficial Universal Podcast last week. “They want this trilogy of movies to have the actors that we know and love from the original films, that we watched grow up, as adults. And, of course, they’re hiring a bunch of new, younger actors to play their children with the hope that, if we can lean on J.K. Rowling, maybe there’ll be ‘The Cursed Adolescent’.”

Shortly after the release of this statement, Warner Brothers shut down the rumor by saying that they had no plans to make the hit play into the next blockbuster movie.

While the future is unclear about what plans Warner Brothers holds in store for the play, the fans have made their voices clear.