Littleton Life Center

SONY+DSC
SONY DSC

In an epicenter for wealth and surplus, it is difficult to believe in the extreme poverty and hunger that occurs less than ten miles down the street from Mountain Vista High School. From children who haven’t eaten in two days, to masses of homeless visitors, the Littleton Life Center is using all of it’s resources to “Transform Communities Period.”

Based out of Mission Hills Community Church, the Life Center began the undertaking of changing the surrounding neighborhood through their food bank with determination and vigor. Between the dedicated volunteers and the masses of food that are donated each week through the Food Bank of the Rockies, the food distribution center has been largely successful.

Rows and racks of every type of food imaginable cover the ways of the walk-in pantry where all of the food is stored. Creating a “grocery store” setup, each client has the opportunity to take a product from each category, which ranges from fruits and vegetables to desserts to baby formula.

“We give them what we can. They become our family,” volunteer Dianna said. Volunteering for the Life Center and at the food bank since it’s opening, Dianna exemplifies the caring and giving heart that has been part of such an amazing project.

“The feeling I get inside, I feel so warm. It’s like doing God’s kingdom work,” said Dianna. Although funded by a Christian church, the food bank makes no discriminations against any client based on age, race, religious affiliation or background.

The work that is being done through this institution cannot be understated. The volunteers spoke largely and sorrowfully about the amount of children they see come through their doors every time the food bank is open. “Oh mommy, we will get to have something to eat tonight,” Dianna said, imitating the words she has heard too many times when families come to the Life Center. “It breaks my heart, especially when there’s children,” said Dianna.

“A lot of times their rent has just gone up,” said Dianna. The circumstances that land the clients at the Life Center are not always foreseen and often take them by surprise.

The success of the Life Center is largely contributed to the amount of donations they receive from members of their sponsor, Mission Hills Church, and the volunteers who give as much time as they can. This can be several hours every shift if setup time, food distribution, and  cleanup is included.

For those looking for volunteer hours or for a way to help in the community, the Life Center is always looking for more volunteers. More information can be found HERE.