Marlee’s Wish to Give

KENZIE WINSLOW

Friday April 8, Marlee Pack, Vista’s Wish Kid, participated in the first half of her Wish. She spent the day with friends and family at Build-A-Bear Workshop stuffing, dressing and naming over thirty Build-A-Bears. The remainder of the bears for her workshop were mailed to Marlee’s home. She has over 100 bears to give to cancer patients.

9 a.m.: Marlee and her family were picked up at her house in a stretch Cadillac limo. Every time she exited the limo, a red carpet was rolled out for her to walk on.

10 a.m.: She arrived at Build-A-Bear via the limo. As she walked into the mall there was a certain jump in her step. Marlee is currently recovering from an additional surgery to her growth plate and is recently back to using her prosthetic leg, Flash. Her entourage was comprised of eleven people, each of whom made two bears for donation. With two girl outfits and two boy outfits to choose from, Marlee and her team created unique and special bears. Everyone in her party also got to make a special souvenir bear to take home, so they could remember the day.

11:00 a.m.: Marlee started to stuff her souvenir puppy. After stuffing, hugging and “bathing” her bear she began to walk around the store looking for the perfect outfit. Marlee recently saw Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Although she didn’t love the movie, her love of superheroes prevailed on Friday. Marlee ended up selecting Wonder Woman’s new outfit for her puppy to wear.

11:30 a.m.: 9News was there when Marlee arrived at Build-A-Bear and now it was time for her interview. Corey Rose, 9News anchor/reporter, interviewed Marlee just as she’s done multiple times in the past. After so many interviews, it’s safe to say that Marlee is an interview pro.

12:00 p.m.: Marlee and her gang headed out of the mall and back to the limo. Marlee loves fajitas, so it’s fitting that her Wish lunch was to take place at Benihana. The restaurant had a special surprise for Marlee when she finally got seated for lunch — she was going to get to put on a cook’s uniform and try her hand at cooking on the giant grill.

2:00 p.m.: After lunch Marlee’s limo dropped her off at home for some much-needed rest with her cousins.

4:30 p.m.: The San Antonio Spurs heard about Marlee’s story, her Wish and her amazing attitude on life. The Spurs decided to donate tickets to the Nuggets-Spurs game on Friday night. A new limo picked her up and brought her to the Pepsi Center.

5:30 p.m.: Marlee and her family ate dinner at the Shock Top Lodge in the Pepsi Center.

7:00 p.m.: Game time! Marlee made her way to her seats. After the game between her home state and her new state she got to meet the mascot for the Spurs, The Coyote.

After a very long and exciting day Marlee has even more to look forward to. In May, Marlee will head to Children’s Hospital and set up “Marlee’s Build-A-Bear Workshop” for the oncology patients. Marlee’s Wish to give is finally underway and the effect of her kindness is already apparent.