BLOG: Why is the NFL Acting Un-American?

416th Theater Engineer Command
Sgt. Brian Abrams, Army Reserve Soldier with the 863rd Engineer Battalion, Forward Support Company, carries the American flag onto the field leading the Chicago Bears team members onto the field prior to kickoff during an NFL game designated to honor veterans and military service members at Soldier Field in Chicago, Nov. 16. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Michel Sauret)

KELSEY PHARIS

In 2011-2012 the Department of Defense signed contracts with 14 National Football Teams to have U.S. veterans honored at football games while also having to pay 5.4 million dollars over the past four or five years according to nj.com.

Even though this is considered patriotic by some, it is taking our tax dollars and giving it to a major organization who could easily support these veterans on their own.

I am not saying that veterans shouldn’t be honored, but I also think it is our duty as citizens to support them. Because of this, the NFL should be the ones who are paying for these heroes to be recognized.

The National Guard spokesman made a comment on the subject and explained that “Promoting and increasing the public’s understanding and appreciation of military service in the New Jersey Army National Guard increases the propensity for service in our ranks and garners public support for our Hometown Team.”

I understand this point and I think the military should be showcased in multiple different ways however, the NFL should cash out some money to show their support. Our Department of Defense should be able to spend its money on protecting our country or helping our veterans in a different way than having them attend a football game.

Unfortunately, my favorite team, the New York Jets is one of the 14 teams who is payed to support their troops. Although their owner is a major donor to the GOP and has more money than he knows what to do with, he is gaining money and exploiting our troops.

Even if the NFL didn’t pay, they could donate money to a similar cause. Imagine the support if the NFL would donate just 50 percent of the money the DOD gave them. That would mean 2.7 million dollars would be donated to help veterans in need and to give information to teens about joining the army.