Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)

Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is in full swing at Mountain Vista High School under the leadership of Jody Lanterna-Lewis  and Tera Schnacker, two science teachers at Vista. Focused on students who want to pursue a career in Health Services, all members of the club are interested in furthering their education outside of the classroom to be prepared for their future careers.

“I want to be either a pediatric of ER nurse. I’ve always been interested in the human body,” senior Ava Poseley said. A member of HOSA, Poseley found the club after her former biology teacher and current anatomy teacher, Lanterna-Lewis, spoke about the club in her class.

Members of HOSA compete in events that students choose for themselves. These competitions range from tests on medical terms to CPR and first aid. “We also go to conferences that teach us about leadership, communication, and other good qualities to have,” Poseley said.

Passionate about helping others, HOSA has been the ideal place for students like Poseley to learn and grow in their passion and skill. “I love to help people,” Poseley said, “Along with a passion for science, nursing is a career where you’re social, always on your feet and it’s going to be something different every day which is something I look for.”

“I think it’s a great opportunity for someone interested in a health related career. There are no other clubs like this at Vista,” Poseley said, “It gives you some freedom and you get to focus on what is truly interesting to you.” By focusing on what each individual is looking to pursue, students in HOSA see an incredible variety and are presented with endless opportunities.

HOSA meets the first and third Wednesday of every month after school and the second and fourth Thursday every month for Mountain Vista members.