OPINION: Top 6 Super Bowl Halftime Shows

After watching Lady Gaga’s iconic performance this past weekend in Super Bowl LI, everyone automatically begins to compare her performance to previous Halftime Shows; including Katy Perry, Madonna and Coldplay. Here are my picks for the top 6 Halftime Shows over the years.

#6 – Madonna ft. M.I.A., Nicki Manaj, CeeLo and LMAFO (2012)

On Feb. 5, 2012, Madonna broke the musical barriers with her erratic performance; which also broke financial barriers by costing 91 million dollars to put on. Entering as an Ancient Babylonian Goddess, Madonna’s outfit represents her impact in the music industry, and the expectations she sets for herself and for her music. Including her famous hits “Vogue” and “Like a Prayer” Madonna’s performance in Super Bowl XLVI (46) is one for the ages.

#5 – Bruno Mars ft. Red Hot Chili Peppers (2014)

On Feb. 2, 2014 Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers brought down the house at Met Life Stadium in New Jersey with their halftime performance. The performance brought together modern pop music and old school funk rock music with the help of the iconic Red Hot Chili Peppers. Including Mars’ hit s “Billionaire”, “Locked Out of Heaven”, and “Treasure”, the performance included a children’s choir, and “Just the Way You Are”, which was a tribute to the Armed Forces.

#4 – The Black Eyed Peas ft. Slash and Usher (2011)

Even though most would disagree, The Black Eyed Peas’ halftime show wasn’t actually bad. Being preformed on Feb. 6, 2011, the Black Eyed Peas’ halftime show featured local school students as dancers, and incorporated different aspects of technology as the show progressed. The show included iconic Guns and Roses hit “Sweet Child O’Mine”, sung by Fergie and Slash, as well as “I Gotta Feeling” and “Boom Boom Pow”.

#3 – Katy Perry ft. Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliott (2015)

Beginning with Katy Perry riding in on a giant tiger, her performance already beats previous Super Bowl performances in the field of technicality and special effects. With iconic songs “Roar”, “Dark Horse”, “Teenage Dream”, and “California Girls”, Perry defied limits with her extensive props and costumes; which included a mechanical tiger and two sharks that would later become internet sensations.

#2 – Lady Gaga (2017)

For Lady Gaga’s fans, “Little Monsters” as she calls them, Gaga’s Super Bowl performance turned out to be exactly what they were expecting; an act that fulfilled the audience and yet blew them away at the same time. With her dramatic entrance from the top of NRG Stadium, Gaga defied Super Bowl norms and honored her fellow American citizens by singing “God Bless America” and “This Land is Your Land”. Songs in her performance included “Poker Face”, “Bad Romance”, and “Born This Way”, which included Gaga’s famous message, “No matter gay, straight, or bi, Lesbian, transgendered life/I’m on the right track baby/I was born to survive”. Overall, Gaga defied expectations while defending the right of Patriotism, and acceptance.

#1 – Coldplay ft. Beyonce and Bruno Mars (2016)

Even though I could have done without Beyonce and Bruno Mars, this is still my favorite Halftime Show of all time. When it comes to Coldplay, everything is bright and colorful; and that is exactly what was reflected in the group’s performance in Super Bowl 50. From a color changing dance floor to an orchestra and marching band with colorful instruments, the stadium was anything but black and white. Led by lead singer Chris Martin, Coldplay is always a pleasure to watch because of the energy the group has and the way they bring their music to life. Songs included “Adventure of a Lifetime”, “Viva La Vida”, “Yellow”, and a tribute to past Halftime Performances.