LIVE BLOG: Women’s Soccer State Championship

This evening, the Mountain Vista women’s soccer team will face off with Grandview High School in the state championship. Check back here for frequent updates on the game.

The state championship has come to a close with Gv in the lead and a final score of 2-1.

Gv takes a long shot, but misses, overshooting the goal. Gv remains in the lead, 2-1, with six minutes left in the game.

MV throws the ball in from the sideline with 11:30 left in the game.

MV’s defense blocks yet another close goal. The score is still 2-1 with Gv in the lead. Fourteen minutes remain in the game.

MV celebrates Scheuppert's goal. Photo by Tyler Merchant.
MV celebrates Scheuppert’s goal that tied the game. Photo by Tyler Merchant.
Gv takes off on a breakaway and scores another goal. This puts them in the lead, 2-1. Nineteen minutes remain in the second half.
MV gains possession of the ball at midfield after a Gv player goes down, hurt. The score remains tied, 1-1, with 23 minutes left in the game.

With 25 minutes remaining in the second half, the score is still tied at 1-1.

MV gains possession after Gv takes the ball down the field and misses a pass. Thirty minutes remain in the second half.

US Women’s National Team player and MV graduate, Mallory Pugh, is in uniform and sitting on the MV bench.

Katie Joella takes the ball towards Grandview's goal. Photo by Tyler Merchant.
Katie Joella takes the ball towards Grandview’s goal. Photo by Tyler Merchant.

“I feel like after a really high octane from the gv side in the first ten mins, vista was able to figure out what they need to do as both a team. I’m really happy with Katie Joella’s sharing and willingness to dish the ball to the outside. Overall, I would give them an A for that first half,” Ben Westlund, level three coach, said.

Gv takes the ball towards MV’s goal for one last shot, but cannot quite get it there. At halftime, the score is tied, 1-1.

Junior Haley Scheuppert dribbles the ball downfield, towards Grandview's goal. Scheuppert has committed to Clemson to play soccer.
Junior Haley Scheuppert dribbles the ball downfield, towards Grandview’s goal. Scheuppert has committed to Clemson to play soccer. Photo by Gabe Barnard.

Five minutes remain in the first half. The score is still tied at 1-1.

MV junior, Haley Scheuppert, takes a penalty kick and hits the goal. The score is tied up at 1-1 with 10:45 to go in the first half.

Grandview headers the ball out-of-bounds, giving Vista possession. Thirteen minutes remain in the first half.

Vista takes a penalty kick, but Grandview’s defense blocks the shot. The score remains 1-0, with 17 minutes remaining in the first half.

Taeya Scheuppert takes a shot at Grandview’s goal but misses. Twenty-one minutes remain in the first half.

Grandview scores on Mountain Vista goalie, Kylee Love. The score is 1-0 with 24 minutes to go in the first half.

Mountain Vista player, Cydney Billups, goes down from an injury but gets right back up. She walked off the field on her own and is now sitting on the bench.

Five minutes into the game, Grandview takes a shot at Vista’s goal but misses. The score remains 0-0.