Colorado takes the election to new heights

MIKAYLA OLAVE

Colorado’s Republican primary votes have taken an unexpected curve resulting in Ted Cruz taking Colorado. In the surprising turn of events, Ted Cruz took all 34 of Colorado’s Republican delegates, leaving his opponent Donald Trump with nothing.

“If we continue to stand united,” Cruz said, “we are going to win this Republican nomination.”

With the recent wins in Utah and Wisconsin for Cruz, it is becoming more and more clear there might not be a candidate that could reach 1,237 delegates to secure the Republican nomination.

With Ted Cruz in Colorado it was obvious that the controversial issue of legal marijuana would come up. Cruz told The Denver Post that he has no intention of interfering with the state’s legalization of the drug.

“The people of Colorado have made a different decision. I respect that decision,” Cruz said. “And actually, it is an opportunity for the rest of the country to see what happens here in Colorado.”

He was hoping his views on marijuana would boost him in the polls for Colorado — and it paid off.

Trump did not take losing in Colorado well. After Cruz won all the Republican delegates in Colorado, Trump tweeted about it saying, “How is it possible that the people of the great State of Colorado never got to vote in the Republican Primary? Great anger – totally unfair!”

Trump had also claimed that the people of Colorado had their votes taken away from them because of “phony politicians.” Cruz immediately responded by saying that Donald Trump “knew he was losing,” and “doesn’t handle losing well.”

The win for Cruz in Colorado could just be the start in Ted Cruz’s campaign to overthrow Donald Trump and secure the Republican Nomination. Cruz is already looking ahead with high hopes for the next GOP vote in Cleveland saying, “I am confident we are going to win in Cleveland at a contested convention.” With the election deadlines closing in there are still so many votes still up in the air. Candidates are rushing to secure states in order to have a shot at the president. Cruz winning Colorado is just an example of how the election can be complex and confusing.