Writing Portion of the ACT

ATTENTION ALL JUNIORS!

Many of your counselors have probably told you in recent meetings that it is not important or even necessary to take the writing portion on the ACT.

First of all, let me tell you what the writing portion entails. It is an extra 40 minute portion and cost $17.00 more. This portion of the test is available on all 6 of the national tests in the U.S.

On the writing portion, you will be given some kind of issue and you will be given three different viewpoints on the issue. Then you will be expected to write about your own view on the problem. Then your essay will be read and graded by two human readers who will decide on a score of 1 to 6 for your essay.

While this advice may apply to some of you, it probably does not apply to some of you. If you are planning to stay in-state, the only schools that recommend you have the writing portion are the following: Art Institute of Colorado, Colorado School of Mines, Johnson & Wales University, and Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design.

However, if you are planning on going out of state, it is a VERY good idea to take the writing portion. Outside of Colorado, 629 schools require or recommend that students take the writing portion on the ACT.

In general, most of the top journalism/humanities/English schools require that students take the writing portion. Almost ALL top technical/math/science schools require the writing portion on the ACT.

This is especially important if you are looking at a school in California or on the East Coast. However, whether or not the school you are looking at requires or recommends the writing portion, you should seriously consider taking it anyway.

“If you opt to take the test and you score well on it, it could be a great way to enhance your application and give you an edge!” Mary Ann Barge said on her blog about SAT/ACT Prep Online Guide and Tips.