What's The Scoop
  • Just a reminder that you cannot get a parking permit with any outstanding fees. Please check your emails to check to see if you have received an invoice.
  • First Day of School is August 7, 2024
  • Upcoming Events will scroll here (website being rebuilt currently)

Remembering Dr. Jake Herman

Teacher and coach Jake Herman passed away early last week at the age of 38.

Dr. Herman was born in Alexandria, Va. to his parents Paul and Cherry Herman on July 25, 1977. The years before he went to college he lived in Connecticut and Virginia where he played lacrosse for West Potomac High School and West Springfield High School. He was recruited to play lacrosse for Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, N.Y. where he also majored in biology. As a team captain he led the RIT Tigers to the NCAA Final Four and graduated in 1999. After college he moved to Pullman, Wash. to receive his PhD in Microbiology from Washington State University.

Eventually Herman made his way to Denver where he did research on Cystic Fibrosis at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. During this time he also began coach lacrosse at Regis Jesuit High School and eventually became a science teacher at the private high school. In August of 2010 he married Erin Browning and in February of 2011 he welcomed his son Paul into his life. In 2011 he also was able to help lead the Regis Lacrosse team to the 5A State Championship.

In 2012, Herman began teaching at Mountain Vista High School and took the head coach position for the men’s lacrosse team. In October of 2012 he welcomed his second child, a girl named Tobi.

For Coach Herman the Vista lacrosse team was his true passion, the game and especially the players were some of the most important aspects of his life.

He was passionate, caring, motivating, funny and also had a huge heart. He had spirit, a captivating smile and a booming voice. Wherever he was, he was making an impact on everyone who was there. He was committed to everything he did, especially coaching young men. He was dedicated to making them better players and even better men both on and off the field. He wanted all his players and students to achieve their goals no matter the struggles they may face. As a teacher he was also dedicated to making them believe in themselves as students and people in the community.

Herman’s children were some of the luckiest in the world being able to have such a loving and caring father in their lives. The best days of his life were the days they were born. They were the light of his life.

According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, Herman’s death is under investigation. The cause had not been determined, but foul play is not suspected.

Herman is survived by his wife Erin, son Paul (4), daughter Tobi (3), his parents Paul and Cherry Herman, sister Rachel, brother-in-law Gerrick and niece May (1).

A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 3:15 p.m. at St. Andrew United Methodist Church, off of University Blvd., in Highlands Ranch. Students planning to attend the service, must have their parents call them out of the last part of seventh period. Students also must sign out at the attendance office.

Updated at 10:56 a.m. — starting time delayed.