Soaring to Help the Rest

ERICA VENABLE AND MIKAYLA OLAVE

“An Eagle Scout is a well-rounded person. Eagle Scouts are great leaders, they are knowledgeable, capable, and proactive. Eagle Scouts give back to their communities, and are kind, trustworthy, and hardworking,” junior Josh Romine said.

Romine has been an Eagle Scout for two years. Achieving this rank was not an individual effort for Romine, who has been in Scouting since first grade. 

“My parents helped inspire me along the way and were an important part of my accomplishment,” Romine said. Another mentor for him is David Larson, a counselor from Mountain Vista. Josh exhibits a commitment to others and community that is evident in his effort to provide a 9- hole Frisbee golf course on our campus,” Larson said. “He is kind, hardworking, and willing to share and help others.”

To earn the title of an Eagle Scout, one must earn 21 merit badges. Each badge has a number of requirements as well. Some are required, such as first aid, swimming, camping, citizenship in the community or emergency preparedness. Some are electives, such as archery, horsemanship, sports, photography, fishing, art, climbing and rifle shooting. Only about 6 percent of all Boy Scouts earn the Eagle Scout rank.

Scouts are constantly participating in service projects and helping their community. They also serve their community by being upstanding citizens. “My project is used by members of the community nearly every day and provides a fun activity for families or friends to take part in,” Romine said. “It also provides a close course that Mountain Vista P.E. classes use as well.” 

Giving back to his community is something Romine has become familiar with. 

“A large part of scouting is about service,” he said. “Nearly all ranks require an amount of community service hours and the largest requirement in all of scouting is a service project. You also must complete a certain amount of hours of community service, as well as serve in a leadership position in your troop.”

“The most taxing requirement is the Eagle Project. This is a service project that is helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community,” Romine said. “You must plan, organize, and lead the project. My service project included 382 hours of volunteer work and I contributed 137 hours to plan, organize and execute the project.”

Service projects are fundamental for Eagle Scouts. Romine built a disc golf course around the campus of Mountain Vista and had to raise over $3,600 to plan and organize the construction of the course. This included digging eighteen holes and cementing in nine tee posts and nine disc golf baskets. 

“It took an immense amount of time to raise the funds, purchase the materials, plan the project, and implement the course,” Romine said.

While building the course was arduous, Romine said, he seized the opportunity to better the neighborhood. “I just enjoy helping my community and love to see people out on the disc golf course having some fun,” he said.

Being an Eagle Scout can be demanding, but Romine said he manages to balance giving back and learning life skills.

“All positive relationships in the community are important and can help each member of the community grow and achieve their goals. Scouting has taught me many things about leadership, and service. I want to use these lessons in everyday life. I enjoy volunteering, leading others, and setting a good example,” said Romine. “Although it is hard, it is worth it in the end. It shapes you into a better person, and the lessons learned will stay with you for life.”

“The skills learned stay with you for life. Not only survival skills or outdoorsmanship, but the leadership skills I learned are applicable in many aspects of life. Scouting helped develop character, and taught me many life lessons,” Romine said. “As an Eagle Scout, I am a better member of my family, of my community, and I am a better person.”IMG_7124