FBI Investigating Explosion in Colorado

According to the FBI, an explosion outside of Colorado Springs occurred on Tuesday shortly before 11 a.m.

An improvised explosive devifbi-sealce was placed next to a gasoline can outside the wall of the building shared by the Colorado Springs chapter of the NAACP and Mr. G’s Hair Design Studio. However, the gas did not ignite and only minimal damage was reported.

“The investigation is ongoing and it is not known at this time if the NAACP or a business in the vicinity was the intended target,” FBI spokeswoman Amy Sanders said in a statement. “There are no known injuries at this time and minor damage to the building and sidewalk where the explosion occurred.”

Carol Chippey-Rhanes, a volunteer for the NAACP, told USA Today that the explosion unsettled the office. “We don’t know what it was, don’t know if it was directed at us. Of course, I doubt anyone was targeting Mr. G’s hair studio,” she said to USA Today.

The FBI is currently searching for a suspect that is described as being a balding white man in his 40s who may be driving a dirty, 2000 or older model white pickup truck with paneling, an open tailgate and a missing or covered license plate.

Anyone with information about the crime is advised to call the FBI tip line at (303) 435-7787.