Mens Volleyball

AMY HUANG, PEYTON REEVES, & ZOE BLANDON

Mens volleyball had a shaky start but throughout the season, the Golden Eagles overcame the obstacles with the help of each other.

“We have some very talented players with a ton of potential. We will be polished up for the post season.” Head Coach Kevin Cary says of his team.

The two teams of boys, Varsity Gold, (mainly seniors and juniors) and Varsity Green, (mainly sophomores and freshmen) had a tremendous amount of talent and the program thrived, with Gold making it to the state tournament. The teams have become a family.

“They are coming together as a team and realizing that they need to work together to be successful,” Cary said.

Throughout the season “the boys had some tough losses, incredible wins and really learned what it means to be a team,” Cary said.

During the season, many of the boys had the opportunity to play the sport with new people.

Junior Sam Ramsey said getting to know a lot of different people was the best part of the season for him.

“It’s fun to play,” he said, “It’s an unexpected sort of fun.”

“Whenever we got a good kill and hearing everyone yell and get the team all excited,” was what made playing worth it for Chandler Brown, junior.

-1Both teams have learned about the sport and the skills needed to play it.

“We have worked as a team and gotten better each time we play,” Ross Bain, freshman, said.

“They haven’t only learned how to play the game, but the teams have both discovered a real passion for the sport,” Cary said.

On the Green team, each boy has a different reason for playing volleyball.

“I wanted to try something new,” Bain said.

Kris Knigge, junior, said (girls coach Lindsey) Jaffe said he should try it because it is a really fun sport.

None of the players on Green team have had experience playing this sport before. “It’s been a learning experience and I’ve met a bunch of new guys,” Dillon Stevens, junior, said.

The team really came together and applied what they learned in practice to the games. “It’s basic stuff that has brought progress,” Knigge said.

“The game is really fun and I’m glad I joined,” Craig Carlson, senior said.

On Green team, each boy has a different reason for playing volleyball. “I wanted to try something new,” Bain said. Another reason is,  “Mrs. Jaffe said that I should try it because it’s a really fun sport,” Kris Knigge, junior, said.

The team really came together cohesively and applied what they learned in practice to the games, “It’s basic stuff that has brought progress,” Knigge said.

There’s no doubt about it that there’s a lot that goes into playing a sport, especially a new one for the entire team.

“The game is really fun and I’m glad I joined.” Craig Carlson, senior said.

With the season now over, the boys will have a whole year to continue to develop their love of the sport.

Hopefully, Vista will see this team next year, ready to engage in this fast-paced sport they all enjoy.

On the Gold team, most of the boys have played before and used their prior experiences to better the team.

“A lot of people this season have played volleyball before, so we have improved a lot from last season,” captain Nate Bean, senior, said.

Being one of the youngest ones on the team. “You have a lot of people to look up to,” Cutler Patierno, sophomore said.

“We seem to be communicating a lot more, and are able to work better as a team, at every practice and every game, there is improvement,” Bean said.

The boys said they have really become great friends and not only played to win, but played for the enjoyment of the sport. “They enjoy each other’s company and want to win for each other,” Cary said.

The rush of the game makes it enjoyable for the boys and helps them get into the spirit. This enthusiastic team qualified all the way to state with hard work and dedication. In the state tournament the boys had a tough loss to Ponderosa but they finished fifth in the state.