2018 Election Results

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Election Results

BRENDAN O'KEEFFE & MICHAEL PLACE

This year’s election was a dramatic victory for Colorado Democrats.

Jared Polis defeated Republican Walker Stapleton in the gubernatorial election. Polis is the first openly gay elected governor and Colorado’s first Jewish governor. Polis plans to implement a high quality, full-day kindergarten and preschool program across the state.

In Colorado’s 6th Congressional District election, Democrat Jason Crow defeated Republican Mike Coffman. Crow’s victory ends Coffman’s five-term incumbent. Jason Crow campaigned on the idea that he would stand up to President Donald Trump. Crow plans on helping children succeed and have an equal opportunity in public education. He plans on fighting cuts in funding and voucher proposals that he believes will hurt Colorado families.

Douglas County voters were also tasked with deciding whether they wanted to implement two important funding programs for schools in the state and in their school district.

Amendment 73 did not pass to raise taxes for education. Fifty-six percent of voters were not in favor to approve this piece of legislation.

“I was disappointed, but I was not optimistic going in,” Vista’s principal Michael Weaver said. “I thought that [Amendment] 73 was not well defined [for] people to understand the purpose. I was a little pessimistic that we would have enough statewide support to pass because of the tax increase component even if it was good for every single school district.”

Tax measures 5A and 5B successfully passed after two days of counting ballots. 5A passed with 53.52 percent of the vote and 5B passed with 51.85 percent of the vote.

Measure 5A will increase the teacher salary and will be invested in school programs. Measure 5B will be  the school district i in school utilities such as construction, transportation, security, and career technical education.

“Increase starting teacher pay attracts some better, new people [and] hang on to the people we have,” Weaver said. “My greatest fear was that if the bill didn’t pass, people couldn’t afford to not go across the street to Cherry Creek (School District) and make $15,000-$20,000 more a year than they make here (in Douglas County School District).”

Post updated on 11/9/18