Homecoming Recap: Wednesday

The annual chili cook-off hosted by Vista’s football program kicked off Wednesday’s homecoming events. Players and their families made chili to thank the Vista community for supporting them through their season.

“We want to thank and show our gratitude towards the school, classmates, teachers, coaches, and families by greeting and serving them [chili],” senior Jason Kapernakas said.

While the chili cook-off was going on at Vista, varsity softball faced ThunderRidge at Metropolitan State University’s softball field near the Auraria Campus. The Grizzlies were able to score first in the third inning, leading the Golden Eagles, 1-0. Vista responded scoring two runs in both the fourth and fifth innings. Junior Kira VanRavensberg went on to close the game, pitching a complete game and leading the Golden Eagles to a 4-1 victory over their rival.

“That definitely started out really nerve racking,” VanRavensberg said. “I knew in the back of my mind that my team was going to field behind me and we were going to get hits and come out in the end.”

Varsity volleyball took on Rock Canyon High School in the main gym following the chili cook-off. Vista started the game winning the first set, 25-22. The Jaguars rebounded, winning the second and third sets. Vista tied the game, winning the fourth set, but unfortunately lost the fifth and final set, losing to Rock Canyon, 3-2.

The third day of homecoming concluded with a bonfire held at the bottom end of the hill to the turf field.

Photos by Paige Gerling, Hannah Jenkins, Annabelle Kiely, Julia Kirsch, Hannah McClain, Michael Place, and Cole Schwendeman