Super Bowl LI Recap

The New England Patriots faced off against the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI.  One of the greatest comebacks in all of Super Bowl history occurred during the game.

During the first quarter, the Falcons started strong with a 37 yard gain by running back Devonta Freeman. Their drive ended shortly after when quarterback Matt Ryan was sacked.

At the start of the second quarter, the Patriots looked like they would score until their running back LeGarrette Blount fumbled the ball. Atlanta recovered the fumble and returned it for the first score of the game. Freeman ran the ball into the endzone for the Falcons’ first score.

On the next drive, Ryan connected a 19 yard pass to tight end Austin Hooper for the second score for the Falcons.

With a pick-six by Atlanta defensive back Robert Alford brought the lead to 21-0.

Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski made a field goal to bring the score to 21-3 at the end of the second quarter.

The Falcons came right back with a score by Tevin Coleman, bringing the score to 28-3.

After their first touchdown of the night, the Patriots brought the score to 28-9. Gostkowski missed the extra point, leaving the score at 28-9.

In the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Patriot defense sacked Ryan and caused him to fumble the ball. The Patriots recovered the ball and turned it around for a touchdown by wide receiver Danny Amendola. The Patriots then attempted a 2 point conversion and succeeded. This brought the score to 28-20 Falcons.

Patriots running back James White scored a 1 yard touchdown to bring the game to 28-26 Falcons.  The Patriots then went for the 2 point conversion and with a pass to Danny Amendola, the Patriots tied the game 28-28 in the last minute of the fourth quarter.

In overtime, the Patriots won the coin toss and began marching straight down the field with a touchdown pass to James White.

The Patriots won Super Bowl LI making it their fifth Super Bowl title.  The final score was 34-28.