Monica Abbott signs $1 million Softball Contract

Professional softball pitcher Monica Abbott made history today after signing a $1 million, six-year contract with the Scrap Yard Dawgs of the National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) softball league. Abbott is the first woman in U.S. sports franchise history to be offered a contract of $1 million. This contract is also the first in NPF history.

Abbott attended the University of Tennessee from 2003-2007. While at the University she was a four-time First Team All-American, four-time All SEC-Selection, and the only three-time SEC Pitcher of the Year in history.

Following being drafted to the professional Washington Glory in 2007 Abbott became Playoff MVP in her rookie season. After her rookie year she took a season off to play in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, walking away with a Silver Medal and the first-ever perfect game in Olympic history against the Netherlands. She then won Team USA Gold in the 2010 Olympics.

Abbott proceeded to play multiple seasons with the Chicago Bandits, pitching her second perfect game against the Dallas Charge in 2015.

Not only has Abbott made a mark on the game of softball, but she is now making a mark on all women’s sports and their pay. The average salary for a professional softball player for one season is between $5,000 to $6,000 for a 3-month season. Compared to Major League Baseball players who collect an average of $4 million for their 6-month season.

Now if you really do the math, baseball players are making an average of $600,000 per month of their season, whereas softball players are making $2,000. The numbers speak for themselves. The difference of pay between male and female athletes is often a hot topic for debate, but Abbott may have just changed the game.