Student of the Week: Hannah Chapple

Student of the Week is a series designed to help everyone at Mountain Vista High School learn more about their fellow classmates. This week: Senior Hannah Chapple.

Eagle Eye: What’s your full name?

Hannah Chapple: Hannah Patricia Chapple.

EE: Where were you born?

HC: Grapevine, Texas; right outside of Dallas.

EE: What is your favorite color?

HC: Purple

EE: What is something people don’t know about you?

HC: I have 3 brothers. One is a freshman at Colorado University, one is a freshman here at Vista and one is a sixth grader.

EE: What do you do in your free time?

HC: In the winter I ski, and I always love to hang out with some of my good friends.

EE: What is the most interesting thing that has happened to you at school?

HC: I made it into the musical, “Annie Get Your Gun,” as a freshman, which is pretty unusual for girls.

EE: What do you plan to do after high school?

HC: I plan to enroll in college next fall and study musical theatre and education.

EE: Why did you start performing in theatre?

HC: I always enjoyed performing and watching others perform as a child. In middle school and high school it just became a part of who I was. I considered myself to be a theatre kid.

EE: What is your dream role to play?

HC: Where to start?! Lets see; I want to play Kate Monster in “Avenue Q”, I would love to be Bonnie in “Bonnie and Clyde” but honestly as long as I was on stage and performing I would be happy with any role.

EE: Who is your favorite actor/actress of all time?

HC: Dang! What is with these hard questions?! Bernadette Peters, Idina Menzel, Meryl Streep, Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, Julie Andrews; I can’t just pick one! There are just so many actresses that inspire me!

EE: What were you feeling going into “The Wizard of Oz” auditions?

HC: I just want to leave feeling like I’ve done my best. That’s all you can hope for going into audition or callbacks; that your talent and hard work comes through to your auditioners, and that you leave feeling accomplished.

1907774_10203797316367035_4366409863577686737_n

EE: What does it mean to you to be cast as Dorothy in “The Wizard of Oz”?

HC: It is the most incredible thing, I could never be more thrilled! Since I was a child, I always loved the show and Dorothy Gale has always been one of my dream roles. To be given the opportunity to bring the show to life onstage for my school is such an honor and I couldn’t be more excited!

EE: What is your favorite memory from working on “The Wizard of Oz”?

HC: There is actually an embarrassing twitter post about this. The ruby slippers had just come in the mail and I, of course, was super excited to put them on! Everything was going great until about an hour in when I broke them. The heel just came off! I freaked out and tried to fix it and I, as Mr Goldson put it so eloquently, had an episode.

EE: What has been the most challenging thing about working on “The Wizard of Oz”?

HC: The stage is always very empty throughout the show, and so working with minimal set was a challenge for sure. Working with a dog was really terrifying and until a week or so before the show I really let the challenge get in my way; eventually I had to come to realize that I shouldn’t worry about the things I can’t control and after that it became much easier.

EE: What goes through your mind right as a show is about to start?

HC: Madison Crepeau, who plays the Wicked Witch, and I always give each other huge hugs and wish each other good luck right before the show starts. I don’t get too nervous, I just get really excited.

EE: How do you overcome stage fright?

HC: I always have to remind myself to smile before I go on stage, because smiling calms your nerves! Over time, I grew more comfortable onstage, and that has helped a lot.

EE: What is your favorite song to perform in “The Wizard of Oz”?

HC: My favorite songs are “Jitterbug”, which is our huge dance number, and “If I Only Had A Brain”, with The Scarecrow. They are just so much fun and I love doing them every time!

EE: Can you describe your bond with your fellow cast members and the tech crew?

HC: I really got to know a ton of people during this show. I especially grew close to Erick, Parrish, and Ryan! The entire cast and crew are really close and we are all one big family.

EE: Did you do anything interesting to prepare for playing Dorothy?

HC: Ryan, Erick, Parrish, and I all were talking about taking a road trip to Kansas to go see “The Wizard Of Oz” museum and it almost happened. The planning of this trip really brought us all together, even if it did not really happen.

EE: What drives you to keep doing theater for as long as you have?

HC: I just always enjoyed doing theatre and singing. When I was a freshman, I was cast in “Annie Get Your Gun” and it was just the most amazing experience. I never wanted to give that up.

EE: What are your goals as an actress?

HC: I just want to have fun and continue to love theatre.

EE: What were you feeling after the opening night of “The Wizard of Oz”?

HC: I’m so sad because I realize it will end next week. I feel that the hard work is coming together and is paying off. It’s coming full circle.